The Panthers are back at it after the cancellation of 2020

Lacrosse and baseball update

Constantine Donahue, Sports Editor

The 2020-21 year has been challenging for everyone, and especially athletes. Uncertain if a game will get cancelled, or if they won’t be in the playoffs (even if they have the best record). But this spring has eased up and athletes are back at it at Saucon Valley. Here is a sports update from 4/5-4/7. (Baseball, Boy’s and Girl’s Lacrosse)

Baseball: 

On Monday April 5, the Saucon Valley Panthers battled against the Notre Dame Crusaders. The last time these two teams matched up was back in 2019, and the Panthers came out on top 7-2. 

But this time, it was a little bit different. The Crusaders won by a score of 9-3, led by  junior Logan Castellano’s 11 strikeouts. 

Junior Erik Smith said, “They came out and jumped on us right away. We looked flat at first, and they put up 3 runs on us in the top of the first inning. That set the tone for the game.” 

The Panthers had 8 walks, which was a huge negative. But they hung in and kept the score somewhat low. These teams will face off once again on May 5, and the Panthers will be looking for revenge.

On Wednesday April 8, the Panthers were back at home after a loss against Notre Dame. They were looking to go above .500, and they did just so in an exciting victory against the Wilson Area Warriors.

The Panthers played well and stayed in the game. They did a good job of not letting their opponent out to an early lead, which was a big issue in their previous game.

It was tied up, 5-5, bottom of the 7 with the bases loaded and two outs. Sophomore Jacob Albert was up to bat for the Panthers. He got a great hit and got his first-career walk off. “It felt good, we were down and we played well as a team and came back. Everyone did their part and we won, I wouldn’t put that game on me at all,” said Albert. He’s a great team player and clearly shows that.

This was very exciting to watch and this improved their record to 2-1. The Warriors are still looking for their first Colonial League win this season. 

Boys’ Lacrosse:

On Tuesday April 6, The Saucon Valley boy’s lacrosse team went against Bethlehem Catholic. The Panthers were still searching for their first win, after losses to both Allentown Central Catholic and Northwestern Lehigh. 

The Panthers won this game 16-6, and got their first win of the year. They played well as a team and got everyone involved. The defense was sliding greatly and had great communication.

Senior Colin Johnson was the top goal scorer for Saucon with 4 goals, senior Colin Zyck added in 3 and so did junior Jake Kalinchock. 

Girls Lacrosse:

On Tuesday April 6, the Saucon Valley Panthers went up against Bethlehem Catholic Golden Hawks. Bethlehem Catholic is a new program and is still looking for their first win.

The Panthers won this matchup, dominating the Golden Hawks by a score of 15-1, and improved their record to 3-0. 

The Top Goal scorer was senior captain Maria Donahue, who had 3 goals and 3 assists in the victory. “We knew that Bethlehem Catholic was a first year program and that the skill level of our teams would be very different. So we focused on playing our game and not playing down to their level, that helped us win by such a big margin” said Donahue.