Local college baseball teams poised for great seasons

With a shortened spring season, teams are eager to win and make playoffs.

https%3A%2F%2Fathletics.desales.edu%2Ffacilities%2Fweiland-park-baseball%2F89

https://athletics.desales.edu/facilities/weiland-park-baseball/89

Chris Medei, Writer

It has been a good spring season so far for local college baseball teams, like Moravian College, Desales University, and Lehigh University. With COVID-19 having an impact on seasons, teams are only allowed two or three non-conference games, but the majority are all conference games with shortened seasons. So far Desales has started off 11-1 and first in their conference, Lehigh 10-7 first in their conference, and Moravian 5-6 second in their conference. With COVID-19 playing a part in all of these college seasons, Moravian is the only team that has to wear their masks during games.

Desales baseball team is the most exciting team to watch this year, they have a great record and everything is clicking for them offensively and pitching wise. Redshirt freshman pitcher, Nicholas Millets, who was a Saucon Valley graduate, had this to say on his team’s performance so far this season, “It has definitely been their best start imaginable for our team, 11-1 is a good record but we definitely want to win more. Our team chemistry is a huge part of our success, everyone comes to practices and games ready to play and wanting to win. The main goal for this year is to win the championship, we have the offense, defense, and pitching to do it. I think the toughest teams left on our schedule are Arcadia and Stevens, both teams are very good but definitely beatable.” Desales next opponent is Arcadia and are looking to extend their winning streak to 15 wins.

Another team around the Lehigh Valley area that is having a decent season so far is Moravian College. Even though they are 5-6 they are 2nd in their division and hopes are still alive for making Landmark playoffs. Junior outfielder Elias Engelhardt, also a Saucon Valley graduate, is still very optimistic about this season and thinks they can still make a run for playoffs, “It’s definitely going to be a bit of a challenge but I think we’ll be just fine and make it to playoffs. Our toughest opponents coming up are The Catholic University of America and Susquehanna. Those two teams will be very tough, so hopefully we can split the series especially. What’s most important going forward is everyone showing up wanting to win, team chemistry is definitely a big factor in winning. Wearing a mask during the games is definitely a little bit difficult but as you just play with them every game and practice with them, you just get used to it. In the end, I think we will be just fine and hopefully continue to win more games.”

Furthermore, Lehigh baseball is off to a good start in the patriot league. They are sitting at a 10- 7 record right now, their biggest opponents coming up include Army West Point, Bucknell, Navy, and Lafayette. Biggest key to success so far this year has been in pitching. It has been very dominant and has helped them win almost all the games with your very low scoring affairs. Two of their top pitchers that are doing good are Mason Black and Lucas Rich.

Overall, all the three local college baseball teams have done a very good job this year with all the COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions, whether that be with their scheduling and not playing enough games or games getting canceled due to certain circumstances. Moravian and Desales both had some trouble with COVID-19 in the beginning of their seasons but have bounced back nicely, luckily Lehigh has not had any issues with that so far. All three of these teams are poised to make a run at playoffs, and possibly win their conference towards early May.