Saucon spring sports off to a good start, and standout athletes help along the way

Some of the spring teams are starting off the year strong and look to continue that momentum

Chris Medei, Writer

There are a lot of positives to take away from spring sports and all the teams at Saucon Valley so far this year. All teams have been working hard all year to compete at a high level and take home wins to stay in a position to make playoffs and districts. Two months into the season, softball has started out 2-6, baseball 7-2, Girl’s lacrosse 5-4, Boy’s lacrosse 4-5, and Boy’s tennis 9-3. From each sport there have been some standout players helping to carry their team to victory.

The baseball team is off to a hot start this year, with their best wins coming against Southern Lehigh and Palisades. Some of the standout players from the team have been sophomore Jake Klotz, who’s leading the team in hits with 13, 10 RBI’s, and has the best ERA for pitching on the team with a 1.963. Sophomore Jake Albert is also having a very good season batting .444 and giving up the fewest hits for a pitcher. Baseball’s biggest games coming up are against Notre Dame, Bangor, and Palmerton. Baseball is in a good position to make playoffs and districts if they keep winning.

Senior Austin Strunk said, “Definitely have to just keep giving 100% at practice and games everyday, we don’t have a lot of guys on Varsity but the group we have is great. Everyone has each other’s backs on the team and it’s exciting to play.” It’s not going to be easy but it will be interesting to see how far this team they can go this year.

Another team this year that hasn’t started off great but did win their last game is softball. Their two wins this year have come against Palisades and Salisbury. However, they do have some standout players including senior Jackie Barbera and junior Emma Rudolph, Barbera is batting .480 with two home runs this year and Rudolph batting .350 with 7 hits, and 2 RBI’s. Some of their more important games coming up are against Notre Dame, Northwestern, and Bangor.

Next, the boys’ lacrosse team is off to a decent start this year, one of their best wins is against Freedom. Two of their best players so far this year are senior Colin Zyck  and senior Colin Johnson, both are the top 2 scorers for Saucon. Some of their upcoming games that will be close are against Pleasant Valley and Southern Lehigh. Saucon is going to need to win most of their games down the stretch, but with Zyck and Johnson leading the way, they have a good shot at making districts.

In addition to that, the girls’ lacrosse is doing pretty good this year to start out, their biggest wins are against Central Catholic and Northwestern. Two of their team’s top players are senior Maria Donahue and sophomore Sophie Engalhardt. Donahue has 30 goals so far and Engalhardt has 19, both top two on the team in goals. Girls’ lacrosse does have a tough schedule coming up, playing teams like Liberty and Southern Lehigh.

Lastly, tennis did finish their season this past week and ended on a high note winning their last match. They are also headed to the Colonial League Championship tournament Friday, April 23rd. Some of the team’s best wins this year have come against Notre Dame and Bangor. One of the players on the tennis team this year who has helped a lot along the way is senior Matt Nagy. Saucon definitely has a good shot at winning their upcoming tournament and look to be the first team to bring home a Colonial League trophy for the 2021 year.

Regardless of stats, each team member is integral.  All teams are still working hard months into their seasons, practicing almost every day with around 2-3 games a week. At the end of the day, whether teams do good or bad, it’s good to finally have spring sports back.