Schedule changes include three brand new courses

April 17, 2023

The 2023-2024 program of studies. Three new courses have been added.

Within the 2023-24 program of studies, three brand new courses will be offered for students. These courses include Strength and Conditioning, Intro to Musical Theater, and Music Fundamentals. While these courses are foreign to Panthers, many students will discover their individual benefits once they have hit the ground running. 

Strength and Conditioning

The strength and conditioning course is an addition to the physical education courses that Saucon currently offers. It is an elective gym course. The program of studies defines it as including “various aerobic activities, weight training, and lifetime activities.” Teachers for this course may include physical education teachers Katie Roberts or Phillip Sams, but it is still to be determined. This course is open to all, and counts towards the required gym credits.

Introduction to Musical Theater

The intro to musical theater course. It seems as if an aim of the new program of studies was to incorporate more music courses. This course is described as “push[ing] students beyond their comfort zone and develop[ing] their skills of listening and seeing what is happening on stage.” This course is open to any, no matter their theater background. 

Music Fundamentals

Music fundamentals is a course that will teach students music theory. This course is most likely to be taught by music teacher Chad Miller, and it is “designed to begin with the fundamentals of music theory leading to four-part harmonization.” Students will be able to gain an ear for listening to the complexities of music, and write and analyze their own compositions. This course is open to all. 

These three new elective courses will allow students to expand their interest fields or possibly expand their knowledge in either physical education or fine arts.